Hobby Farm Insurance

Do you own a smaller lifestyle property or hobby farm that’s less than 200 acres in size and earns an annual income of less than $50,000? If so, consider hobby farm insurance to cover your home, contents, and farm activities.

Why do I need insurance for my hobby farm?

If you own a hobby or leisure farm, it’s important to consider farm insurance even if you don’t earn income from it. This is because farming activities can be risky and most home and contents policies do not cover such activities.

Farm equipment and livestock can create unique risks that are not likely to be covered by your regular home and contents policy. For instance, if one of your livestock were to escape and cause a car accident, you could be liable for the damages.

It is recommended to get farm insurance for your hobby or leisure farm regardless of whether it’s used for income generation or not. This will help protect your investment and mitigate potential risks associated with farming activities.

Tailor your Hobby Farm policy to include the following*

*Please read the PDS for the full list of what is covered and not covered. Additional endorsements/conditions may apply based on any unique circumstances.

Potential farm-related liability incidents the policy may cover:

  • When consuming a farm product you sold, the customer becomes ill leaving you legally liable.
  • Accidental damage to neighbouring property whilst using your farming equipment.
  • If you’re found liable where a guest on your farm slips and breaks their ankle. 
  • Where your livestock escape their fencing and cause a motor vehicle accident and you’re found legally liable. 


You should always consider the PDS/Policy wording before making a decision. Coverage may differ based on specific clauses in individual policies. 

Not sure where to start? Request a callback.

Please leave your details below to have a CoverWise team member contact you directly.